Lure Talk - Single Hook vs. Trebles
Part of the fun of fishing on your fishing boat is trying to learn what your equipment is capable of and combing through what works and doesn’t work. Some might call this frustrating, but shifting your mindset to a learning approach might make for a more enjoyable experience at the rod.
In our fishing tips, we are talking lures today, single hooks vs. trebles. There has been a long-standing debate over what is better, and we certainly won’t be solving that question today. However, we are going to talk about the advantages and disadvantages and arm you with the information to make the best choice according to your fishing habits and desires. Load up your Blackfin fishing Boat, it’s time to take to the water and wrangle in some winners!
Advantages of Single Hook Lures
- In Water Performance
- We are talking buoyancy and the level of resistance a single hook has in the water, verse a multi-hook (treble) variety. This results in the hook looking more “real” or active in the water, which is welcomed in intense tide situations.
- Less Wear and Tear
- Single hooks don’t have the wear factor as treble hooks because they are nicked continuously by the actual hook.
- Powerful Hook
- While you may have fewer points to snag a fish with a single hook, when you do hook it in the right place, you’re more likely to keep that fish. The single point allows all the weight and pressure of the fish to be concentrated on one point rather than dispersed among many locations.
- Lost no More
- While still perfectly capable of happening, the chances of losing your single hook lure is less probable than that of with trebles. A good shake of your rods can usually break it free with only one catch point.
- Did You Hear That
- Single hooks don’t make noises like trebles, which means fish will be less suspicious.
Disadvantages of Single Hooks
- It Got Away
- You may see failed strikes with a single hook, especially from those fish that are lazier in nature.
- Barbs Matter -
If your single hook lure doesn’t have barbs, your chance of catching a fish will be even tougher.
Advantages of Treble Hooks
- More Ways to Hook a Fish
- Multiple points on a lure is going to mean you have multiple ways to secure that fish. This can be the case after a bad strike as one of the lures can snag the fish’s body, allowing you to get your catch.
- Some Fish Require This Hook
- If going after an aggressive species of fish that knows how to put up a fight, then the treble lure is going to be a better match.
The Disadvantages of Trebles Hooks
- Heavier and Harder to See
- The treble hooks, while effective, are going to be more substantial in the water and make the lure move differently than the single hook.
- Less Longevity
- You will replace treble hooks more often since the hooks will wear down the lure’s finish faster.
- Noise Factor
- When bits of metal rub together you’re going to have a noise problem. This bothers some people more than others, but it is worth considering.
- Hook Everything But Fish
- Not only will you need to be more cautious when using these hooks in your boat, but you’ll also need to pay attention to your lure in the water. Trebles are known for snagging everything you don’t want to catch in the ocean. (usually trash)
Now you are armed with some ideas on how these hooks function and perform. There is nothing like spending the day on your vessel and coming home with a full fish box. Have fun practicing and stop by a Blackfin Boat dealer sometimes and let us know what side of the lure dilemma you side with.
Bookmark & Share
Be the first to comment on this post below!
Popular tags on this blogblackfin | blackfin 332cc | blackfin boats | Blackfin Boats at Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show | Blogs & News About Blackfin Boats Center Console Models | boat show | Center Console | CSI Award | fishing boat | fishing destinations | fishing tournament | FLIBS | flibs 2017 | Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show | ft Lauderdale international boat show | Innovation Award | miami boat show | miami international boat show | Palm Beach Boat Show |
Most Popular Articles
- Blackfin Fishing Boats - The Legend Lives On | Blackfin Boats
- The Blackfin 272CC ? Ranked Among The Very Best Fishing Boats of 2018!
- Blackfin 272 CC Boat Test - By Lakeland Boating Magazine
- May Fish Trial of the Blackfin 272CC Model | Blackfin Boats
- How to Acquire Your Boat Captain?s License in Florida
- Blackfins new 33? debuts at the 2018 Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show!
- Top 5 Tips for Buying Your First Fishing Boat
- What is the Best Time to Buy a Blackfin Fishing Boat?